Ironic

July 31, 2007

Am I the only one who is confused with NSW’s stupid HSC format? Maybe I don’t fully understand it. You battle it out over four terms, not helping friends cause goodness knows what will happen if they getter a better rank than you and are advantaged. Once the ranks are done, all your work in not revealing information is undone as you are encouraged to help everyone because everyones marks goes up if everyone does well. Maybe that is only lost on me. In my opinion the whole HSC is flawed. The assigned texts are generally boring and always seem to be packed with feminist rubbish to appease all those middle aged female English teachers. There is also too much to learn in some subjects. Why not teach less but in more detail? There is far too much pressure for the actual end-of-year HSC exams as they make up a massive percentage of the overall weighting. To get a gauge of this just look at me. For 12 years I had been going to school before this year. I never took it seriously, always mucked up never cared about how I went. Now, in year 12, I am stressed to the point where I forcefully make myself study copious amounts. Heck I am even seeing a psychologist. I obviously aren’t smart/well informed or could even be bothered changing the system but I just feel that a change would be welcome, not that I care as I only have 26 more days of school in my life.

In brighter news today I discovered that I only need a 65 UAI to get into the course I want. Yay!

:: By huw bizzle 9 Comments

1. your not the only one. i am confused and i have not started yet. senior music is the most confusing so be glad your not doing that :)

Comment by Kimrad — July 31, 2007 #

2. “I obviously aren’t smart/well informed…” – You can say that again. I agree, the Victorian system is way better (and I’m not just saying that to stir things up, it’s true).

Comment by tricky — August 1, 2007 #

3. hey man, at least you’re not doing the hsc back in the days when the only thing that counted was the external exam. although i think i might have preferred that, so i would’ve been able to do even less during the year

Comment by mizzle — August 1, 2007 #

4. none of our our year 11 work goes towards our final exam. hmmm. indeed, the vce appears to be better.

Comment by josh rayson — August 1, 2007 #

5. I got my HSC results, with my school marks and exam marks, my UAI was the exact average… scaling affected my sister by heaps, though.
    Ah well, life will go on, ay?

Comment by Sylv — August 1, 2007 #

6. the hsc counts for so much because different teachers in different schools could be setting assessments that are harder or easier than other schools, and the big exam which is the same, statewide helps to even it out. but its so lame. im probably gunna get under the average and probably end up gettin like 40.

Comment by daniel — August 1, 2007 #

7. ….for my uai

Comment by daniel — August 1, 2007 #

8. in other news….
    i just finished my last ever assessment item. now i just have to do the presentation thing at school. whoop de doo.
    just the trials and the hsc exams to go. cant wait.

Comment by daniel — August 1, 2007 #

9. I personally had no problems with the HSC. While they may be confusing, the details are irrelevant to you. All you need to know is that the harder you work, the better you’ll do.

I have no problem with the final exams being worth 50%. It evens out the field, and it means that whatever you have (or haven’t) done throughout the year, you still have a chance to do something.

Finally, it prepares you for tertiary education, where final exams (in those subjects that have them) are usually worth at least 50%.

Comment by grizzle — August 2, 2007 #